Saturday, February 27, 2010

What Is It: A Preliminary Assessment

Yoga isn't a cure-all for me. It's not a way to meet women. It's not a replacement for Christianity or a way to rebel against a Catholic upbringing. For me, it's multifaceted exercise and cultivation. I'm big on self-cultivation. I think there are plenty of ways in which I feel I won some kind of lottery that I didn't know I'd entered. However, for me, "good enough" isn't usually good enough and I must always use what I have and not take anything for granted. Yoga is one of the tools I use to take on that personal project. Once, I self-cultivated myself into shaving left-handed and now I shave each side of my face with the respective hand with equal and consistent results.

It's an unconventional undertaking, but it's mine, damn it!

I also like that yoga can be strengthening, loosening, tightening, lengthening, compacting, and expanding. I can focus or I can melt. I can build up weaker parts and abilities, I can temper stronger ones. I can also conduct maintenance in a way by doing yoga. This is the only body I have and due especially to the health problems that run in my family and the lack of health insurance, I feel as if I should care for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment