Monday, September 13, 2010

Lernin' the Bod

I've had no shortage of introspection and observation in this past year of self-guided practice. Perhaps one of the greatest benefits is the increased intimacy with my body. My knowledge and understanding of my body has increased.

When I first bought the Paul Grilley "Anatomy of Yoga" DVD, I was ecstatic! I was also a bit bummed. On one side, one reason I couldn't do side splits despite the amount of work I've done is because my bones won't let me! Awesome! It's not because I suck! On the down side, the bones won't change, and if the bones are what's keeping me from doing the side splits, then I will never do the side splits.

My friend Page once passed on something one of her yoga teachers asked her: "Once you can do that, then what?" Well, my answer is: then I'll be able to do it! I sure as hell can't do it now! Goal checked off the list!

I find that I listen to my body more. I find that after these last months I can identify and chronicle things in my body better than I could before. I have been looking at my body habitually over the last 10 or so years, most especially during the last 5. I now notice not only visual changes, but changes in feeling and how it feels to be in my body. I find that I don't always feel weight or gravity like I might have before. I have found that I can be dense and yet step lightly, move delicately, root powerfully.

I've been working out again for the last six-to-eight weeks. I've noticed by body still responds to exercise like it as. At age 37, that is still a boon. I no longer know how much of my physique is due to genetics and how much is due to habit or deliberate activity.

I enjoy studying my own morphology. Some of it is admittedly due to vanity. A lot more of it is due to wonder, curiosity, and thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment