Thursday, December 22, 2011

Wringing It Out

Over the past couple of years in yoga I've heard and read about emotional release happening in classes. With the emotionally heavy events of the last year I've been wondering if I would ever have this experience and if this year would be it. I started to think that maybe my stubborn, immersing way of working through emotional things flushed out enough pent-up emotion to reduce any such release.

Then yoga certification class happened this Tuesday.

The class was an alignment class centered on twists. I love twists. I love the way it feels like I'm wringing out tension and tightness. The first major relief came as the instructor had us twist in a wide legged forward bend. This first release was a big, happy "Aaaaaaaah!" My body had been wanting that, but I didn't know until we were in the posture. I felt a flood of gratitude.

We did a couple of more twists and counterposes and then it happened: my release. During one of the counterposes I started feeling so relieved I began to chuckle softly. The next counterpose led to more chuckling until I found myself fully laughing while on my back. I thought I would cry or something. I've had frustration arise. But laughter? It made me laugh all the more. I didn't expect that my release would be laughter.

It figures. I've raged and cried a bit and have felt like crying, but laughter makes everything better.

Laughter and gratitude. It would figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment