Sunday, May 16, 2010

Followed a Thread

After a day of consideration (which began well before my previous post of despair), some dissection of situations brought about a completely different issue and probable cause of my ailment: I do a lot of ducking and squatting on a daily basis.

I am six feet tall. When I'm clowning, I position my hair on top of my head, adding to that height. I have to duck when I pass through the flaps at the back of the tent. I have to duck beneath the bleachers and squat or bend uncomfortably beneath metal supports or vent tubing as I make my way to the front of the house for some of my entrances. One time each show I do that carrying a thick board. When I wash dishes, I do so at a sink whose lip only reaches mid thigh. I do this all multiple times each day except for doing dishes.

Thinking about living under these conditions for the past five and a half months, no matter how much I exercise, no matter how well I take care of my body, doing all of that squatting and ducking is going to be at odds with my fitness. I feel a bit better having realized that, but it doesn't make the healing process any quicker. It just makes it more bearable. When I get home on break in June I'm going to consult my doctor and see about suggestions for physical therapy/physical therapists so I can identify problems and head back to Japan with exercises to help shore up against these abuses.

I guess this is transforming the situation. I'll take note.

No comments:

Post a Comment