Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mending

It took a few days to where I started feeling more like myself, but each day since the pull or whatever has seen improvement. By the weekend, I was able to bend over to something resembling what I consider an acceptable amount. I have just under a week until I get home and then I can do some classes at one of my home studios and also get a couple of massages to work out all of the these knots and tight spots I have.

One reminder of this whole situation is how much of my self worth I place in my physical abilities and prowess. Not only feeling capable, but being able to prove it are very important to me. This time I made peace with taking aspirin in the morning before work to help me make it until the late afternoon when shows were finished. I even used Bengay for two or three days. We'll see if that openness to using substances like that will hold for the next time. Another thing that helped was talking to one of my friends who kept reminding me that they are aids and not crutches. And I also supposed that avid athletes and other physically active people sometimes resort to little remedies to keep themselves in the game.

I'm turning 37 this July so I should just start getting used to it. We all get older and despite maintenance efforts, I can't be free of injury or breakdown. I just need to discern between pain and discomfort. What I call the latter may very likely legitimately be the former, but if it doesn't make me wince or stop, then I tend to relegate it to the category of discomfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment